A member of the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) class '79, Commodore Orwen Cortez has assumed post as head of the Naval Forces Western Mindanao Command (NFWMC) based in Zamboanga City, an Armed Forces official said yesterday.
MANILA, Philippines - With the approval of the Office of the President, the post of NFWMC chief was earlier given to controversial Navy officer, Rear Adm. Feliciano Angue, former Armed Forces of the Philippines -National Capital Region Command (NCRCom) commander, who is now facing an investigation for alleged violation of the military code of conduct.
Cortez replaced Brig. Gen. Eugenio Clemen, 1st Marine Brigade commander, who was assigned earlier to the command in an acting capacity.
Retiring Western Mindanao Command (Wesmincom) chief, Marine Lt. Gen. Benjamin Dolorfino confirmed that Cortez has taken over the NFWMC top post last week.
But Dolorfino, who is set to retire on Wednesday, November 10, declined to comment on the circumstances of the designation of Cortez. He said, “it's a regular position."
Brig. Gen. Jose Mabanta Jr., AFP spokesman, said that Cortez was designated by the Philippine Navy as NFWMC chief in an acting capacity. Angue may still assume the post depending on the outcome of the investigation of his case.
Angue's assumption as NFWMC chief was held in abeyance after he was placed under investigation for violation of the AFP code of conduct after he slammed the alleged “prostitution” of the military’s promotion system.
Angue claimed his designation to the two-star post oc NFMWC chief was a “demotion” since he had already been assigned to the three-star post of NCRCom commander.