Friday, August 7, 2009

Philippine Navy steps up anti-terror operations

The manila Times thursday july 23, 2007 a7

ZAMBOANGA City: The Philippine Navy has stepped up its patrol in the southern region of Mindanao following the spate of bombings and attacks blamed on terrorists. Authorities blamed the lndonesian terror group Jemaah Islamiah and the Abu Sayyaf and Mora rebels for the series of bombings in Sulu and Mindanao in recent weeks that left scores of civilians among fatalities

and the wounded. Indonesia also tagged the Jemaah Islamiah for the recent suicide bombings of the Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels in Jakarta, which killed nine people and wounded at least 53 others. We have stepped up our security patrol. We are fighting terrorism here,' said Admiral Alexander Pama, the Navy's regional commander in Mindanao. He said Navy gunboats regularly

patrol the Moro Gulf, the Mindanao, Sulu and Celebes seas where pirates are actively operating.

Last week, authorities seized some 350 kilos of banned ammonium nitrate and 1,800 pieces of blasting caps and detonating cords from a cargo vessel in Cebu that was heading for Iligan City in Mindanao. The spikes in bomb attacks in Mindanao and Sulu also coincided with the release of three kidnapped Red Cross workers held by the Abu Sayyaf and Jemaah Islamiah. The military has last week deployed hundreds of soldiers in Basilan and Sulu provinces to crush

the Abu Sayyaf.


No comments:

Post a Comment