Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sailing Duo Rescued By Philippine Navy

The Philippine Navy was able to rescue American national Ruben Staver and his Singaporean friend Foo Hay Chim, off Scott Point, Sofronio Espanola, Palawan. Photo courtesy PHILIPPINE NAVY, Naval Public Affairs Office

by Lois CalderonSunday, April 24, 2011

Singapore - A Singaporean and an American on a boating trip in the South China Sea were rescued by the Philippine Navy after their yacht was damaged by strong waves.

In a statement on its website, the Philippine Navy said that the Singaporean has been identified as Mr Foo Hay Chim and the American is Mr Ruben Staver. It did not provide any further details about the duo.

The navy said that they were rescued at about 5.30am on Friday.

The navy said it acted on a call for assistance at about 11pm on Thursday from the Palawan Coast Guard that a yacht was in distress and was in danger of sinking. After a six-hour search, the yacht was spotted off Arreceffi Island in Palawan. The rescued Singaporean and American were taken to the Coast Guard Detachment of Narra.

The navy said the yacht, Fly Ruben Fly, was sailing from Kudat in Borneo to the western Philippine island of Palawan.

When found, the yacht had run aground and was half submerged, the navy statement said.

Philippine Navy Lieutenant-Commander Algier Ricafrente told MediaCorp that the pair was found in "good physical condition".

"Based on the medical check-up conducted after they were rescued, aside from the sunburn they incurred during their voyage, they were in good physical condition," added Commander Ricafrente, who is also the Philippine navy spokesman.

Navy officials said they have arranged for the two to be flown to Manila to report to the Bureau of Immigration.

The two, however, "opted to proceed to Manila independently with the assurance to coordinate with our office in Palawan after presenting themselves to the Bureau of Immigration to arrange for the recovery of their yacht," Mr Ricafrente said in a text message to MediaCorp.

The Singapore Government has yet to be informed of the incident, he said.

Courtesy of Today

No comments:

Post a Comment